Tuesday, April 2, 2013

How to Make an Egg Tree

Easter 2012
Easter 2013


When I was in Elementary School I remember learning how to hollow out an egg by blowing it out at church.  If I remember correctly, we made an egg we could hang as an ornament.  Wanting to make a centerpiece last year I tried my hand at making an egg tree.

Materials:
Raw Eggs (2 per branch and 9 extra)
Wall Nail
Egg Dye
Plastic ziplock
Thongs
Egg Carton
Ribbon
Bows or Fabric Flowers
Hot Glue Gun
Paper towels and Newspaper
Fake branches (I used 4)

Take the nail and push it through the bottom of the egg.  Push it through 2-3 times.  The hole at the bottom of the egg needs to be large enough to blow the egg yoke out of.  Then make a hole at the top of the egg.  It doesn't need to be as big as the bottom.  Blow out the egg yoke into a trash bag or bowl.  Make 6 or so to lay around the table and 3-4 more eggs in case some of them break.

Dye the eggs.  I found the fastest, and best way to get the most even color, was to put the dye in a plastic bag and I could "swoosh" the eggs around.  I could also do two at a time.  By using some thongs to take them in and out, I had no colored finger prints, like I got on them last year.  Last year I did more of a pastel color, this year they were more vibrant, I think I prefer the more pastel.  Place eggs in the egg carton to dry.

Once they are dry, heat up the glue gun.  Lay out some newspaper and paper towels because even though they are dry, they will still leak from the inside as you are gluing the top.  Cut the ribbon to the length desired.  I liked last years length better, this year's was a little long.

Glue over the top hole.  Put one end of the ribbon down.  Glue a dollop over the ribbon and attach the other end of the ribbon.  Glue the last dollop and attach fabric bow or fabric flower to the top.

And Voila!!

I remember last year it taking me more time, but this year it was a breeze.  Super inexpensive and fun.  I did try to store the eggs from last year to see if I could use them again this year, but half of them molded.  I'm sure if you bleached them on the inside they can be reusable.  But they are fun to make, so I don't mind making them each year.

With the branches... I've seen egg trees on bald branches and I used branches with flowers.  The good news is: branches are reusable and I used them in the fall for Thanksgiving decorations.

This would also be fun to do with the kids.  Mine have a ways to grow before we can do that...

Happy Decorating!

No comments: