Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Easter Basket For Toddlers



When I was growing up, we always got the big ready made baskets from the grocery store.  My son is 19 months and I really didn't want him to receive a lot of candy for Easter, so I decided to make my own basket.  I could find a lot of great ideas on Pinterest, but what I really liked were interactive and sensory toys, from the Dollar Store, which allowed us to play all day....

The Easter basket itself I got from Target.  I thought it was super cute!

The Contents:


Glow Sticks
Bubble Gun
M&M minis (had to have some chocolate in there)
Big Pencil
Animal Sponge Capsuls
Egg Chalk
Coloring Board
Glitter Pens
Stickers
Chocolate Caramel Cups (ok, a little more chocolate)


Alex first receiving his basket

 The Chalk Eggs were the first thing he went after.  He spent some time playing with them and forgot the rest of the basket.  The reason I bought the eggs were because between my toddler and the dogs, a lot of chalk gets consumed around here.  Unfortunately I did find half an egg eaten the day after Easter, but none since.



The bubble gun was a hit!  We have been playing with it everyday.


The sponge animals were very entertaining.  I gave him a capsule at a time and he threw them in the water.  The water did need to be heated up a bit for the capsules to open before he lost interest.  With the sponges and the splashing he did have a good time.


Between the egg hunt and the toys we had a very active Easter.

We haven't gotten to the glow sticks yet, but a glow in the dark egg hunt would be a lot of fun.

Coloring activities are great if you want to keep the kids occupied while you are cooking dinner and you can never go wrong with stickers!

An idea for infants: fill plastic eggs with rice or beans and wrap with scotch tape.  We did that with my mom group last year Alex loved those eggs all year long as a rattle.  We kept them in the diaper bag and they were great for playdates with other infants.

And there you have it.

What kind of things do you like to put in your children's Easter Basket?

No comments: