Monday, February 11, 2013

Homemade Valentine's Day Cards




I got inspired to make homemade Valentine's Day cards.  I figure my little man won't be little forever.  I want to paint up that hand and print it on as many things as possible!!  Making homemade cards is great, but my dilemma was:  How do I have a big enough envelopes to mail them? 

I went to the Joanne's to pick up items for my Valentine's, but I noticed they didn't have envelopes I could use.  I went to CVS.  They have a whole stationary section. But, besides the normal mailing envelopes, they only had the large ones.  Not interested.  Went to a UPS store.  No luck.

So I went on Pinterest.  I was convinced I could find one.  And I did!  It told me to take apart a greeting card envelope to use as my template.  I could make my envelopes out of anything!  The only problem?  The unfolded envelope was way bigger than my cardstock.

So... I created my own.

I started by cutting my cardstock to a 8"x8".

Then I marked halfway down each side.  At the 4" mark.



Then I used a ruler to draw lines between each mark.



And folded each side along that line


Then I reversed the folds, so the ink marks would be on the inside of the envelope.

and Voila!


I used the 8"x8" cardstock to trace, so I could sped up the process and make many of them.

Once I had an envelope, I needed to figure out the size of the card.

The Valentine's Day cards were 5"x10".  So when folded they would be a 5"x5" square.





Once I cut it out, I traced to make the others.

Here is the cover of the card.  Took thumb prints, cut them out, and added stickers.





And the inside.


I took a hand print (minus the thumb) for the bunny.  I did my best to keep his fingers together in sets of two for the ears, but he's 18 months, it's not that easy.  Added the eyes and added more stickers.


And that's it!

I did mail these cards.  I attached stickers to hold the folds of the envelope together.  I am not positive that worked??  I put a sticker on each fold.  Unfortunately we mailed them before I got a picture... I will find out.  I may adjust the measurements for future experiments


This one's for Daddy....




Not as many stickers because it's not getting mailed.

Happy Valentine's Day!





No comments: