Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Touchdown Dip

It's Super Bowl time.  I got really excited about some of the things I'd seen on Pinterest and wanted to make something super awesome.

I wanted the "Wow Factor" if you will, and was super excited when I stumbled across

THE.... SNACK.... STADIUM.....!!!!

Here is my version of the 7 layered dip behemoth :

My Step-Dad holds a massive Super Bowl party every year with 40 people and 5 tvs, so I wanted to bring excitement to the potluck.  There was quite a spread.


But the real test is how long the dip lasts....

The dip was gone by half time!!! (Yahoo!!)

What my unsuspecting friends didn't know was...

The Ingredients:

A Can of Fat-Free Refried beans
Can of Drained Diced Black Olives
A Jar of Salsa (I used Pace)
Cheddar Cheese
Fat-Free Plain Greek Yogurt
1/2 to a Whole Diced Onion
4 Large Ripe Avocados
Garlic Salt
Tooth Picks
9 packages of Snack Sized Slim Jims
Red Grape Tomatoes
Yellow Grape Tomatoes  
Tortilla Chips 
Piping Bag (I used a ziploc with a 5 icing tip.  A snip at the bottom of the ziploc will work, but the lines won't be as clean.  I also assume a squeeze bottle should work?  So however you'd like to try it.)

So the dip was a healthier version of the 7 layer dip.  I didn't tell anyone until after they told me they liked it.  ::wink::

The Order of Layering:

Day before:

Layer in a large casserole dish: 
A Can of Fat-Free Refried beans
Diced Black Olives
A Jar of Salsa (I used Pace)
Cheddar CheeseFat-Free Plain Greek Yogurt

Day Of Super Bowl Party Smack Down:

Make Goal Posts 
Put the toothpick through the Slim Jim.



Attach sides and cut toothpick for the post.
 


Take the longer slim jim and put a toothpick through it to attach the smaller slim jims to make and X.


The goal post on the left had a harder time standing because the bottoms were too short.  I made the one on the right with longer Slim Jims.  Both goal posts survived the party and the car ride to the party.


Press goal posts into layers where you want them.
Make guacamole by mixing 4 large avocados with garlic salt.
Lay guacamole around goal posts.

(This is where I learned I should put the goal posts in first before adding guacamole.  Then I learned the greek yogurt should be under guacamole because the red was too hard to cover, but adjustments have been made to the recipe, so you won't have that problem)

I cut my ziploc to take the 5 icing tip and put greek yogurt in the bag.  I piped the greek yogurt by hand.  The slower you go, the easier it is to make the lines straight, but it doesn't have to be perfect.


Put the tomato players on.

And...  Voila!!




Here are some of the stadiums I looked at for inspiration:

This quacamole dip is where I got the lines and the players....


These two stadiums is where I got the ideas for the goal posts....  They are really Bad A*$... but I don't love the people at my potluck enough to invest that kinda dough....






I hope you enjoyed my adventures in Snack Stadium.  Try it out.  I hope it inspires you to have fun and create your own twist!

Happy Super Bowl!!

No comments: