Monday, January 28, 2013

Bringing Back The Fanny Pack

I was at the indoor play area at the local mall, following my son around and tried to keep an eye on my purse which was quite a distance away from me. All I could think was, 'if someone was to take off with my purse, what would I do?  Leave my 16 month old to chase a mugger down?'

I was at the local library awhile ago.  I had my entire purse sprawled out while I was checking out books. My son crawled off.  Do I leave my purse and wallet completely open, to go get my son?  Luckily a nice lady picked him up and brought him back to me.

I have a friend who's diaper bag was robbed while her daughter was in the stroller.  How scary is that?  Moms are such an easy target.  I get anxiety about it because I can't figure out how to get around it.  My entire life I've been told to protect my purse under all circumstances and when I became a mom, how am I suppose to?
 
I'm tired of juggling a diaper bag, a purse, and carrying a toddler on my hip. I want everything on me so I don't have to worry about my wallet, but I also want to be able to pick up my son when I need to without a diaper bag getting in the way.

So I told Zach I ordered a fanny pack. He gave me a looked of a man who's worried his wife exchanged her sex appeal for the stereotype of a frumpy mom.  The fanny pack is all black and I would wear it like this...





And not like the 80's version, like this....



So the 80's destroyed the fanny pack. This one does not compare to my hot pink fanny pack with neon yellow pockets and neon orange buttons, which I sported back in the day.  (I was in Elementary School.)  I bought this one on Amazon for $18.08.  It's small, discrete, it gives me piece of mind, and I can keep the diaper bag in the car in case I need it. 

And, I will actually wear it on my fanny.  (Hence the name.)

I've started noticing that some of my mommy friends have turned in their diaper bags too.  Some have gone the backpack route.  It's important for us to be as functional as possible.  To be safe and prepared.  I figure if I've got my cell, my wallet, my keys on me, that's all I need.  I've streamlined quite a bit.  I may not be a fashionista with my fanny pack, but it allows me to keep my mind on my son and not on my wallet. 

No comments: