Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Crayon Stained Glass Hearts


Inspired by: Crayon Hearts

Valentine's Day is around the corner and I was looking for a fun and inexpensive way to decorate.  I found an idea on Pintrest, but it suggested ironing crayon shavings, and that made me nervous.  I remember melting crayons on a hot plate when I was young and was wondering if there was a similar way to do it.  We don't own a hot plate, but we have a flat pan, so I wanted to see if it would work.


I laid a piece of wax paper over the the pan.  

Then pealed the crayons.  If you can find crayons that don't need to be pealed....Highly recommended. Pealing crayons = sucks!

I started by melting the first crayon.  I put the stove on "warm" and rubbed the crayon over the wax paper.  I started on a higher temp, but I kept burning myself.  Warm worked just fine.  I recommend only using half of the crayon because using too much crayon doesn't give it the stained glass effect and it caused the hearts to curl.


Took another crayon and shard it by cutting the tip of the crayon with scissors.  Again using half of the crayon.  The shards shot everywhere, but they landed where they wanted.  I covered the melted crayons with another piece of wax paper and pressed down with a fork to work out some of the bubbles.

When it cooled, I drew the hearts on the wax paper.


And cut them out.


Another suggestion may be to cut up the crayon and sprinkle it on the wax paper to have more control of where they land.  Just an idea.

It was a fun craft to do.  I look forward to the day where my children will be old enough to do this with me. But, my 17 month old was very surprised when he woke up from his nap.

Happy Crafting!

No comments: