Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Top 8 things I dislike about being a mother




Being a mom isn't always easy and like any job, there are things you like and dislike.  When people ask, "how is being a mom?"  What is the right answer?  Do I give the same answer as when people ask, "how is your day?"  Do I give the generic "fine"?  Or do I blow your mind by giving a long explanation of the truth?

So along with my top 12 things I love about being a mother, I made a list of my top 8 things I dislike about being a mother.  Why 8?  Cause that's the number I got.  Here we go...

1.  I dislike that my house will never be clean again.  It feels like there is 3 times more housework than before my son was born.  In actuality there isn't much more housework, but when you have a baby crawling and sucking on things that hit the floor you become very aware how gross the floor is.  Especially when you have 3 dogs.  I use to have a cordial relationship with my vacuum which has since turned bitter.  When I open the closet door, I look at the vacuum through the corner of my eye, and think, "So.... we meet again..."  Then I begrudgingly become it's slave til it brings our carpets back to life.

2.  I dislike pregnancy pounds that have made me their home.  BTW... if you are one of those mom's who lost all their pregnancy wait.... I hate you.  Ok, maybe not hate you... I strongly dislike you.  You don't deserve me hating you.  (Even though I'm thinking it.... sorry.)

3.  My love/hate relationship with the diaper bag.  Am I the over prepared mother who is willing to carry a 30 lb diaper bag of diapers, toys, food, bib, snacks, sippy cups/bottles, sunscreen, and first aid kit?  The answer is no.  Am I always out of the house with my son when I realize the one thing I need, is still sitting on the kitchen counter?  The answer is yes. 

4.  I dislike the diaper pail... It stinks!  The bigger Alex gets, the faster it gets full. I hate emptying it and I hate the smell.  I look forward to the days we are done with diapers.  Of course, as soon as Alex is potty trained we'll probably have more kids.  I foresee diapers in my life for a long... long.... time.

5.  I dislike exploding diapers!  I am so glad this phase is done!  For those fortunate not to know about exploding diapers, the Luvs commercials were not kidding.  Not only does it ruin the outfit he's wearing, but the concoction of bleach and water we created, did not always guarantee it won't discolor the outfit.  You have not lived, til you have to cut a onesie off your child because it is so gross.  But, I digress. Thank God this phase pretty much ends once they start eating solids.



6.  I dislike how often they change.  You think you've figured out a bottle schedule and then it's time for solid foods.  You figure out their nap schedule and  they will no longer sleep at that time.  I am a self-proclaimed "control freak", and this seriously messes with me.  As a parent you learn, with babies, you are not in control they are.  And, as much as you want to try and take control, they take it right back.

7.  I dislike my bitter relationship with bedtime.  This year, we went to a New Year's Party which was from 4-6pm so everyone could get their kids home in time for bedtime.  Oh New Year's Parties... rocking til midnight are now a thing of the past.  But other than New Year's, I dislike that once your baby is asleep, you are bound to your house with nowhere to go, and although Alex has never woken up between the hours of 8:30-midnight, it seems unfair that we can't leave the house.  Correction... both of us can't leave the house.  If I want to go party, I can leave my hubby twittling his fingers at home, or vice versa.  It was hard giving up our ability to go out as a couple when we wanted.  But, in the end, it makes date night that much sweeter. (Which doesn't quite match the desire for it to happen more often, but at least we appreciate date nights more when they happen.)

8. I dislike that whether or not I sleep at night my son, my alarm clock, will go off at 7am with no mercy.  What I'd do to be able to sleep in on the weekends once in awhile?!?

So those are my top 8 things I dislike about being a mother.  The list is pretty short.  There are some things I have a very hard time with when it comes to being a mother, but whether I have the guts to share it, we'll see.  Stay tuned.  And if this list is a little too negative for you?  Check out the "top 12 things I love about being a mother".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said! xoxo

Unknown said...

Thanks honey!! :)