Monday, September 10, 2012

A Mama's Pursuit of Happiness

What is happiness?  I asked Wikipedia, and of course, this showed up....



Happiness is a mental or emotional state of well-being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy.[1] A variety of biological, psychological, religious, and philosophical approaches have striven to define happiness and identify its sources. Various research groups, including Positive psychology, endeavor to apply the scientific method to answer questions about what "happiness" is, and how we might attain it.  Philosophers and religious thinkers often define happiness in terms of living a good life, or flourishing, rather than simply as an emotion.

I read once (this was my "duh" moment) happiness is not a constant state, it's a fleeting moment.  But isn't everyone "in pursuit of happiness"?  Couldn't we say, finding happiness could be the meaning to life?  So I have to ask myself what makes me happy?

When I have "golden moments".  That makes me happy.  These are the times in the day when I stop and appreciate and love the current moment.  For example: how my son snuggles his head into my neck.  I love the smell of his hair.  I love his laugh.  I love his smile.  These moments give me joy during the day.  I also enjoy moments of peace.  I love those moments that I can take a deep breathe and feel at peace.  Music can bring me peace, a glass of wine, reading, and sometimes a cup of coffee is exactly what my soul needs. These are the moments that make me happy.

Why am I starting this blog?  I have a host of wonderful friends, most of them are mothers, who have started blogs.  I never read blogs before, but as they were posting to Facebook, I found that I really enjoy what they have to say.  So whether my friends want to read or not, it's up to them.

Why am I starting a blog about happiness?  I am not an unhappy person.  But constantly, when you're a new mother, other mothers advise "enjoy it because they grow so fast".  I love my precious little monkey.  I enjoy how affectionate he is, especially because I'm nervous that someday he'll become a teenager who won't want anything to do with me.  And although he brings more joy to my life than I ever thought possible, being a mother is hard.  It's frustrating.  It's tiring.  And I don't always like it.  So I hope in starting this blog, I can focus on the 10% of my day that brings me vasts amounts of joy and peace and learn how to get more happiness out of the other 90%, so I can be a better mother and wife.

So this blog will be my journey, as I try to do what the lock screen on my phone says....



No comments: