Monday, June 3, 2013

Alex's First Airplane Ride

Zach was invited to a conference in Seattle, which we could tag along on.  The question was whether or not to take Alex and we decide to take him on the adventure.

Alex loved the shuttle/bus ride from our parking spot.  He kept exclaiming "bus!" And I was interested on how he'd do on the plane.

We knew when booking the flight that it was during his nap time.  So either he was going to pass out the entire trip or we were going to have problems.

Unfortunately, we had problems.

The IPad kept him occupied for the first hour of the 2.5 hour trip.  But then he started getting antsy.  Someone had mentioned about walking the aisle, so I thought we'd give it a try.  

He was ok walking from the back of the plane to the front, but he was too scared to walk from the front to the back.  I guess he didn't want to look at everybody as he passed by, which is weird because he is so friendly with strangers.  I guess there were just too many strangers.  So I carried him back to our seat with minimal crying.

He wanted to walk again, so I took him, but when he wasn't allowed in first class... He lost his mind!  I had to carry a toddler with his blood curdling scream through the entire plane to the back.  I was surprised there weren't riots, or boycotts, or that we weren't thrown off the plane by the other passengers.  We quickly gave Alex some Greek yogurt pretzels and prayed he'd stop crying.

At that moment I remembered eyeing a one year old also getting on the plane.  As a parent with a toddler, you are aware of the feelings of other passengers thinking, "Oh God.. Don't put me near the toddler."  And I do remember thinking about that little boy... "It's gonna be you or us.. Who's it gonna be?"  Sure enough... It was us.

Guess who passed out the second the plane landed?


No comments: